Intense battles continue between Turkish fighters, Kurds in Syria's Afrin | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Intense battles continue between Turkish fighters, Kurds in Syria's Afrin

Turkish soldiers are seen with their armored vehicles near Turkish-Syrian border in Hatay, Turkey, on Jan. 23, 2018. Turkish military's operations in Syria will continue "until all terrorists are fully eliminated" and 3.5 million Syrian refugees return home, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's spokesman said on Tuesday

- Intense battles continued Tuesday between the Turkish forces and the Kurdish-led troops on the outskirts of the Kurdish-controlled Afrin enclave in northern Syria, a monitor group reported.

The battles between the Turkish forces and the Kurdish-led fighters stretched from northeastern Afrin to its southwestern part, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Turkish warplanes also struck several targets in Afrin on Tuesday, killing two children and two women on Tuesday, the observatory said.

It added that 22 civilians have so far been killed since the Turkish side declared the beginning of their military campaign against the Kurdish fighters in Afrin on Saturday.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

Erdogan needs a quick ending to this invasion of Syria, because he absolutely doesn't want the optics here to be about massive Syrian casualties, but it appears that Kurds are not going to allow him that luxury.

Unfortunately, unless there is an immediate ceasefire, coupled with negotiations on a practical way to repatriate displaced Syrians taking shelter in Turkey, this could very well drag on, and morph into a hard, nasty campaign from both sides.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA