Pompeo’s statement confirms US decided to quit INF long ago, says legislator | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Pompeo’s statement confirms US decided to quit INF long ago, says legislator

The statement by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who said Washington was suspending its obligations under the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty and would withdraw from it in six months was no sensation. He only conveyed a decision that had been made a long time ago, Head of the Russian Federation Council (upper house of parliament) Foreign Affairs Committee Konstantin Kosachev said on Friday.

US suspends INF Treaty obligations — Pompeo
"Unfortunately, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s statement didn't stir up any sensation. The US confirmed its intention to put the final nail into the coffin of another important arms control pillar," Kosachev told reporters. "We can only say that Pompeo voiced that decision, which had been made a long time ago, before putting forward an ultimatum to Russia, so no action whatsoever by Moscow could have influenced that."

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA