Tokyo says will ignore Okinawa authorities’ decision on US air base | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Tokyo says will ignore Okinawa authorities’ decision on US air base

Japan’s government has said it will disregard the decision of southernmost Okinawa Prefecture governor to launch the procedure of revoking the permission for works on relocating the US Futenma Air Base to the Henoko coastal area. "We are acting in accordance with the adopted legislation and will continue the works taking care of life conditions of local citizens and environment," Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said during the debate in the country’s upper house of parliament.
Earlier on Monday, Okinawa Governor Takeshi Onaga said his government will revoke the approval for relocating the military base given by his predecessor. "The permission issued by the previous governor was wrong," he stressed.
The Okinawa government is expected to formalize the revocation by late October. Japan’s cabinet of ministers has the right to suspend the decision of the prefecture’s authorities, but the judicial procedures will take some time. This will affect the timeframe for the US air base relocation.

Tags:

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA