Turkish-backed militants accept Idlib deal, but reject disarmament | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Turkish-backed militants accept Idlib deal, but reject disarmament

Turkish-backed militants have rejected laying down their arms or surrendering the territory under their control in Syria’s Idlib Province after Russia and Turkey said they had agreed to set up a buffer zone in the region.

In a statement released late Saturday, the so-called National Liberation Front (NLF), an alliance of militant factions supported by Ankara, said it would cooperate with Turkey in Idlib, but ruled out disarming.

"We will not abandon our weapons, our land or our revolution" against Syrian government forces, the group said.

Earlier this month, Turkish President Recep Tayyib Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin met in the Black Sea resort of Sochi and announced an agreement on Idlib which is the last major terrorist-held bastion in Syria.

Following the meeting, Putin told a joint news conference with Erdogan that they had agreed to create a demilitarized zone of 15-20 kilometers in Idlib along the contact line between the armed opposition and government troops by October 15.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA