U.S. rejects Chinese offer of peace treaty talks with North Korea | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


U.S. rejects Chinese offer of peace treaty talks with North Korea

The United States said Thursday that denuclearization remains its top priority when it comes to North Korea, rejecting a Chinese proposal to begin peace treaty negotiations with Pyongyang in tandem with denuclearization talks.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi made the offer earlier this week after talks in Beijing with his Australian counterpart. A peace treaty with the United States, which would formally end the 1950-53 Korean War, is one of the North's long-running demands.

"Denuclearization remains our top priority. We remain in close contact with the other five-party partners on our shared goal of the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in a peaceful manner," State Department spokeswoman Katina Adams said.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

To President Xi Jinping and the government of China; what you have proposed is completely logical and reasonable. Thank you for your suggesting this approach.

Having said that, it pains me to confess that I am sometimes dumbfounded by the ham-fisted, pig-headed stupidity of the US government, which more than occasionally, collectively, appears to be pathologically incapable of thinking anything through.

Using the peace treaty here would be the "carrot" in the negotiations which would ultimately lead to denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula. That the US government willfully refuses to see this logic is unfortunate.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA