Amid outrage, Philippine opposition presses Duterte to stop killings | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Amid outrage, Philippine opposition presses Duterte to stop killings

Political opponents of Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday urged him to end a culture of impunity and quell a surge in drug-related killings, amid widespread anger at police over the death of a teenager.

Allegations of a cover-up in last week's death of Kian Loyd delos Santos has caused rare outrage among a public largely supportive of Duterte's campaign, which saw more than 90 people killed last week in three nights of intensified police operations.

The 17-year-old student was killed in a rundown area of Manila and according to a forensic expert who conducted an autopsy, Delos Santos was shot in the back of the head and ears while on the floor, suggesting there was no gunfight, contrary to an official police report. The victim's family reject police allegations he was a drug courier.

Duterte has resolutely defended police on the front lines of his 14-month-old war on drugs, but late on Monday he said three officers involved in the teenager's killing should be punished if found to have broken the law.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

That... was the only reasonable thing President Duterte could have said, under the circumstances.

But when you give police the authority to act with extreme violence, you are giving them the power to act illegally, with impunity, and not serve and protect the community.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA