Erdogan says Turkey has resumed drilling in eastern Mediterranean | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Erdogan says Turkey has resumed drilling in eastern Mediterranean

NATO members Turkey and Greece have long been at loggerheads over overlapping claims for hydrocarbon resources.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced that Turkey has resumed energy exploration work in the eastern Mediterranean, saying Greece had not kept its promises regarding such activities in the region.

NATO members Turkey and Greece have long been at loggerheads over overlapping claims for hydrocarbon resources and tensions flared up last month, prompting German Chancellor Angela Merkel to hold talks with the country's leaders to ease tensions.

"We have started drilling work again," Erdogan told reporters after participating in Friday prayers at the Hagia Sophia mosque. "We don't feel obliged to talk with those who do not have rights in maritime jurisdiction zones."

He said Turkey's Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa, a seismic survey vessel, had been sent to the region to carry out its duties. The ship moved into waters off Cyprus in late July and remains in that region.

Erdogan made the comments when asked about an accord signed by Egypt and Greece on Thursday designating an exclusive economic zone between the two nations in the eastern Mediterranean

Webmaster's Commentary: 

If I were a crew member on the Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa right now, I would be advocating for extra-hazardous combat pay; Greece will respond, when it feels the time is right.

The question is, how proportionate will be the punishment for what Turkey is doing.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA