A veteran died after live maggots were found in his infected wounds.
A 73-year-old veteran, Owen Reese Peterson, died after being treated at a veterans’ hospital in rural Oklahoma for several weeks. The Talihina Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs confirmed that Peterson had live maggots in his wounds prior to his death in October.
The director of the Department, Myles Deering, confirmed this but also stated that Peterson’s death was not related to the maggots and that he instead died of sepsis.
Peterson entered the facility with an infection that needed serious treatment and wound up with sepsis, a potentially life-threatening complication with an infection. Raymie Parker, who was Peterson’s son, told Tulsa World,
“During the 21 days I was there… I pled with the medical staff, the senior medical staff, to increase his meds so his bandages could be changed. I was met with a stonewall for much of that time.”