US Military Now Planning To Keep 1,000 Troops On The Ground In Syria | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


US Military Now Planning To Keep 1,000 Troops On The Ground In Syria

President Trump ordered complete US withdrawal in December; in February he said 200 would remain; and now...

The US military is now making plans to keep almost 1,000 troops in Syria, officials said, a shift that comes three months after President Donald Trump ordered a complete withdrawal, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, citing unidentified US officials.

Talks with Turkey, European allies and US-backed Kurdish fighters have so far failed to secure an agreement to create a safe zone in northeastern Syria, part of Trump’s plan for leaving Syria, the Journal said.

The US now plans to keep working with Kurdish fighters in Syria despite Turkish threats to cross the border and attack the Kurds, the US officials said. The proposal may keep as many as 1,000 American forces, spread from the north of Syria to the south, they said.

Once the last bastion of the Islamic State (IS) group is seized, the US may shift its focus towards withdrawing hundreds of American forces, in keeping with what Trump had originally ordered.

The evolving discussions represent a shift away from Trump’s December directive to get all Americans out of Syria.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

More proof, if anyone needed it, that President Trump is not at all in charge of US foreign policy when it comes to Syria.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA