Syria rejects international forces in safe zones | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Syria rejects international forces in safe zones

Syria on Monday dismissed the idea of foreign forces patrolling four so-called de-escalation zones that are to be established under a deal struck by Russia, Iran and Turkey, suggesting Damascus would agree only to Russian "military police" who are already on the ground.

Syria planned to abide by the agreement signed in Kazakhstan last week, Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem told reporters in the Syrian capital, but he cautioned it was "premature" to say whether the deal would succeed.

"There will be no presence by any international forces supervised by the United Nations," al-Moallem said. "The Russian guarantor has clarified that there will be military police and observation centers."

Though he did not specify who the military police would be, he appeared to be referring to Russian observers already in Syria.

The United States is not party to the de-escalation agreement. U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said the U.S. would take a close look at the proposal for "safe zones" in Syria, but he said the plan poses many unanswered questions, including whether it would be effective.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

Translation: it appears that the US government and the rebels it has been arming and training, will completely ignore the de-escalation zones.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA