Germany not first in line to send more troops to Afghanistan: minister | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Germany not first in line to send more troops to Afghanistan: minister

Germany will not immediately send more troops to Afghanistan in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's request for more backing as it increased its presence last year at a time when others were cutting, the defence minister said.

Ursula von der Leyen welcomed Trump's commitment to continuing the U.S. mission, but said Germany would not be among the first nations to contribute more.

"We increased our troop numbers by 18 percent last year when others were cutting theirs," she said during a visit to a submarine base in north Germany on Tuesday.

"So we don't see ourselves in the front row of people who should be asked for more soldiers."

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA