North Korean Waitresses’ Defection May Have Been Forced, U.N. Official Says | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


North Korean Waitresses’ Defection May Have Been Forced, U.N. Official Says

A United Nations official on Tuesday called for an investigation into whether 12 North Korean waitresses were brought to South Korea against their will, saying that some had told him they had not known where they were going when they made the journey in 2016.

The 12 women and their manager left Ningbo, China, where they worked at a restaurant run by the North Korean government, in April 2016, arriving in South Korea two days later. The South’s government promptly announced their defection, which was the most sensational in years, involving a large group of people who, as workers abroad, belonged to the North Korean elite.

But the government’s account of the episode was disputed in May by the manager and four of the women. Interviewed by a South Korean news channel, those women said they had been brought to the South against their will, and the manager said he had been pressured into doing so by South Korea’s intelligence agency.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA