Nicaragua’s Ortega denies responsibility for deaths | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Nicaragua’s Ortega denies responsibility for deaths

Nicaragua President Daniel Ortega said he will not move up elections despite street protests that have seen more than 300 deaths in the past three months, but is open to continuing a dialogue mediated by the Roman Catholic Church.

In a recorded interview broadcast Monday by Fox News, Ortega denied that he controls paramilitary groups blamed for most of the killings. They are supported by his political opponents and foreign interests, he said.

That is counter to what international organizations and Nicaraguan human rights groups have documented. Last week, the Organization of American States adopted a resolution condemning human rights abuses committed by Nicaraguan police and armed pro-government civilians.

“We were elected by the voters,” Ortega said. The next election is not scheduled until 2021. “And then we’ll have to see who will be voted in for the new administration.”

Webmaster's Commentary: 

Regardless of who is instigating the violence, if things continue to turn south for the Nicaraguan people, Ortega may well not HAVE until 2021.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA