Erdogan Demands Saudis Produce "Proof" That Missing Journalist Left Consulate Alive As 'Murder' Probe Intensifies | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Erdogan Demands Saudis Produce "Proof" That Missing Journalist Left Consulate Alive As 'Murder' Probe Intensifies

It has been nearly a week since renowned Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 and never walked back out. In the ensuing days, the Western media has become incensed by reports that the Saudis sent a 15-man "hit squad" to the consulate to carry out the "preplanned" torture and murder of Khashoggi. Afterwards, they reportedly dismembered his body and smuggled his remains out of the building, all while Khashoggi's Turkish fiance waited outside in her car. After sending a "security team" to the consulate to look for the missing dissident, Turkish investigators launched an investigation into Khashoogi's disappearance on Friday - an investigation for which Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has pledged his "personal involvement".

After anonymous officials shared suspicions that Khashoggi had been murdered inside the consulate with Western journalists, Turkish investigators said publicly that they believe Khashoggi is alive inside the building. Saudi officials have maintained that he left a short while after arriving.

But as a condition of the investigation, Erdogan demanded that Saudi Arabia "prove" that Khashoggi (who in addition to being a journalist once served as an advisor to Saudi's intelligence chief) left the consulate alive.

"We have to get an outcome from this investigation as soon as possible. The consulate officials cannot save themselves by simply saying 'he has left,'" Erdogan told a news conference in Budapest, where he is on an official visit.

"If he left, you have to prove it with footage."

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA