Mattis OKs extension of military's border mission through end of January | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Mattis OKs extension of military's border mission through end of January

Defense Secretary James Mattis has approved the extension of the deployment of active duty troops to the southern U.S. border through Jan. 31, a spokesperson for the Pentagon told The Hill Tuesday.

"The Secretary of Defense has approved an extension of the ongoing Department of Defense (DoD) support to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) response to migrant caravan arrivals. DoD support to DHS is authorized until Jan. 31, 2019," the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson did not say how many of the 5,600 troops currently deployed to the border would stay.

Two U.S. officials told ABC News last week that an extension could use a rotational deployment, shifting different units through the border support mission.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA