FIVE-YEAR JAIL TERMS SOUGHT FOR EX-TEPCO EXECUTIVES OVER FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR DISASTER | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


FIVE-YEAR JAIL TERMS SOUGHT FOR EX-TEPCO EXECUTIVES OVER FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR DISASTER

Five-year prison terms were sought Wednesday for three former executives of Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc. for their alleged failure to prevent the Fukushima nuclear disaster triggered by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
At the Tokyo District Court, court-appointed lawyers acting as prosecutors said if the three had collected information properly and prepared necessary safety measures it would have been possible to predict the massive tsunami and prevent the disaster.

Tsunehisa Katsumata, 78, chairman of the company at the time of the disaster at the Fukushima No. 1 power plant, and Ichiro Takekuro, 72, and Sakae Muto, 68, both former vice presidents, have pleaded not guilty, arguing the tsunami was unforeseeable and the disaster would have occurred even if they had implemented preventive measures.

A final hearing for the defense will be held next March.

The court-appointed lawyers said it was clear from earlier testimony that the utility had been informed by one of its subsidiaries in 2008 that a tsunami as high as 15.7 meters could hit the plant, but it did not immediately take preventive steps.

“(Muto) prioritized avoiding suspension of the power plant and put off the problem,” one of the lawyers said.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

Only 5 years for the devastation created by Fukushima, on top of lack of real planning by these guys, since 2008?!?

It should be a life sentence for these guys, without parole, and not, please, in the Japanese equivalent of a "Club Fed."

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA