Zimbabwe court says internet shutdown illegal as more civilians detained | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Zimbabwe court says internet shutdown illegal as more civilians detained

Zimbabwe’s government exceeded its mandate in ordering an internet blackout during civilian protests last week, a court ruled on Monday, as authorities pressed on with rounding up opposition figures blamed for the unrest.

In his interim ruling, High Court Judge Owen Tagu told mobile operators to immediately and unconditionally resume full services. The biggest, Econet Wireless, compiled with the order late on Monday, it said in a message to subscribers.

The sporadic blackout began on Tuesday following the start of protests against a rise in fuel prices that turned violent.

With evidence growing that the country is slipping back into authoritarian rule, critics of President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government had accused it of shutting off the internet to prevent a security clampdown being broadcast to the world.

Mnangagwa was due back in Zimbabwe late on Monday after cutting short a foreign trip.

There was no immediate comment from the government’s lawyer on whether it would appeal the court judgement.

On Monday police arrested Japhet Moyo, secretary general of the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions, which called for a stay-at-home strike last week in conjunction with the fuel protest.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

It looks like it is only a matter of time before the current government of Zimbabwe cannot hold this country together.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA