Taliban: Talks Should Resume From Where They Left Off | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Taliban: Talks Should Resume From Where They Left Off

President Trump’s announcement on Thursday that Afghanistan peace talks have resumed came as a surprise to many, because while there was an apparent process already going on, it wasn’t being made public by anyone.

Taliban officials confirmed that the talks are ongoing, with spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying that they are ready for talks, but that their position is the talks resume where they were previously suspended by President Trump.

Taliban negotiator Suhail Shaheen said much the same thing, saying that it is up to the US to get back to the table to resume the talks that were already nearly successful, and that their positions haven’t changed.

President Trump’s talk of resuming the process was welcomed, but his stance wasn’t entirely clear, as he claimed the obstacle was a ceasefire that the Taliban first refused, and now supposedly wants. Indications are that the US negotiators already knew that was not the case, and told Trump that the demand for a ceasefire was “overly ambitious.”

Webmaster's Commentary: 

I would like to believe that there is some reason for hope here, but I am not holding my breath, until I see something that actually approximates progress; the American people and the world have been assured that "peace was nearly at hand" once too many times, without any substantive process having actually been made.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA