Fort Shafter Faces Major Task in Planning Korea Evacuations | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Fort Shafter Faces Major Task in Planning Korea Evacuations

Fort Shafter faces a huge challenge in updating evacuation plans for American civilians in South Korea should war break out on the peninsula, experts say.

Asia expert Ralph Cossa said estimates of the number of Americans in Seoul on any given day run in the 200,000-to-300,000 range, if not more.

Any evacuation would be "extremely daunting, and likely to cause chaos, even if air assets are available, but especially if they are not," said Cossa, president of the Pacific Forum in Honolulu, a subsidiary of the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Adm. Harry Harris, head of U.S. Pacific Command on Oahu, revealed at a Feb. 14 House Armed Services Committee hearing that Gen. Robert Brown, commander of U.S. Army Pacific at Fort Shafter, and his staff had been tasked with creating an updated "noncombatant evacuation operations" plan, or NEO, for South Korea

Webmaster's Commentary: 

It is not a question of "if" this war will happen; it is now more a question of "when", since this study has been greenlit about two weeks ago.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA