Ebola outbreak deaths top 1,000 amid worsening security situation | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Ebola outbreak deaths top 1,000 amid worsening security situation

More than 1,000 people have died in two provinces of Congo in the second-worst outbreak of the Ebola virus recorded in modern times.

The Congolese health ministry said Friday that 1,529 people had been infected in the outbreak, which is concentrated in two trading cities in North Kivu Province. Of those, 1,008 people have died, a mortality rate of nearly 66 percent.

In just the last week, 132 new Ebola cases have been confirmed, the health ministry said.

The latest outbreak — the 10th recorded in Congo in modern history — began last summer in the town of Beni, which has a population of about 250,000. It has since migrated south, to the cities of Butembo and Katwa, where hundreds of new cases have been reported in recent months.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA