Iran Begins 60% Uranium Enrichment in Response to Natanz Sabotage | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED X-Frame-Options: DENY X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN

Iran Begins 60% Uranium Enrichment in Response to Natanz Sabotage

Iran said on Friday that it has begun enriching some uranium at 60 percent, a step the Islamic Republic took in response to an apparent Israeli attack on its Natanz nuclear facility.

“Sixty-percent enrichment is currently underway at the Shahid Ahmadi Roshan nuclear facility” at Natanz, said Ali Akbar Salehi, the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran.

The move is the latest step Iran has taken to increase the activity of its civilian nuclear program that was caused by a covert Israeli attack. Iran’s parliament passed a bill that required 20 percent enrichment after the assassination of Iranian scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, who was killed in November 2020.

While the increased enrichment is a response to the attack, it also has a civilian purpose. Earlier this week, Salehi explained that uranium enriched at 60 percent could be used to produce radiopharmaceuticals.

The move comes as the US and Iran have been engaged in indirect talks in Vienna aimed at reviving the nuclear deal, known as the JCPOA. An EU official said on Friday that the negotiating teams for the US and Iran will now return home to have internal discussions on the way forward, and talks are expected to eventually reconvene in Vienna.

Tags:

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA