Navy Charges Sailor with Arson for Destroying USS Bonhomme Richard | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Navy Charges Sailor with Arson for Destroying USS Bonhomme Richard

The U.S. Navy charged a sailor Thursday with starting a fire last year that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard docked off San Diego, marking the maritime branch’s worst warship blaze outside of combat in recent memory.

The amphibious assault ship burned for more than four days. Left with extensive structural, electrical and mechanical damage, the ship was later scrapped. Estimates to replace it ran up to $4 billion.

The sailor was a member of the crew at the time, Cmdr. Sean Robertson, a U.S. 3rd Fleet spokesperson, said in a statement. The sailor was charged with aggravated arson and the willful hazarding of a vessel, Robertson said. No name was released.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

See USS Iowa

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA