Trump implements de facto ‘freeze for freeze’ with North Korea as nuke talks stall | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED


Trump implements de facto ‘freeze for freeze’ with North Korea as nuke talks stall

The United States and South Korea have agreed to cancel annual spring joint military exercises in support of President Trump’s effort to persuade North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to give up his nuclear and ballistic missile arsenals.

The move had been rumored for weeks but was confirmed by the Pentagon late Saturday in the form of a readout of a phone call between Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and his South Korean counterpart Jeong Kyeong-doo.

“The Secretary and Minister reviewed and approved the Alliance decisions recommended by the Commander of U.S. Forces Korea and the Republic of Korea Joint Chiefs of Staff,” said the statement. “Following close coordination, both sides decided to conclude the KEY RESOLVE and FOAL EAGLE series of exercises.”

Instead the U.S. and South Korean military forces will maintain readiness to defend the South against the North with “newly-designed Command Post exercises and revised field training programs,” the Pentagon said.

Tags:

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA